One of the most common leaks in a home is a splash leak which is most frequently found when water escapes past a shower curtain or shower door. It may sound like nothing serious but a splash leak around your tub or shower can cause major damage when water seeps into the subfloor – the area where flooring meets the tub or shower.
If not addressed, a splash leak can cause vinyl flooring or tiles to loosen. If the subfloor, which is more often than not plywood, faces continued exposure to a splash leak, it can rot.
Here are some signs to look for when investigating a splash leak:
- Curling vinyl flooring or loose tiles next to the tub.
- Peeling paint or flaking, chalky-looking wood finish near the shower or tub.
- Water stains on the ceiling or joists below.
- Mold spots on the wall or floor near the shower or tub.
- Standing water on the floor after you exit the shower.
Locating the source:
- If your shower has a door, splash water all around it as well as the frame. Be aware if the leak is around the frame, it could take a few extra minutes to show.
- If your shower door has rubber gaskets or a rubber door sweep, check them for gaps.
- Check for gaps in the caulk where the shower or tub meets the floor.
- If you have sliding doors, overlap them correctly. The inner door should always be closest to the faucet.
- If you don’t have a door and rely on a curtain, make sure you close the curtain completely when you are in the shower. You can also add a splash guard.
- If there is a leak in the door frame, seal it with caulk. Force caulk into any gaps. Wipe up exess caulk and when the caulk dries, test for leaks once again.
- Replace any worn gaskets or door sweeps.
- If older caulk is showing gaps or wear and tear, scrape it out and replace with new caulk.
McAtee Plumbing, Heating and Cooling provides reliable service to six different states. Contact us today if you need help getting your plumbing or HVAC issues resolved this winter.
For Clarksburg, Fairmont, Morgantown, Weston, Charleston, Huntington and surrounding areas in West Virginia, call 304-623-3102. For Charleston and surrounding areas in Ohio, call 614-252-9400. For Detroit and surrounding areas in Michigan, call 313-277-9969. For Atlanta and surrounding areas in Georgia, call 678-367-0116. For Columbia, Charleston and surrounding areas in South Carolina as well as the Charlotte area of North Carolina, call 843-352-3116. Or you can contact McAtee by email at firstname.lastname@example.org Visit our website at www.mcateellc.com